Friday, October 21, 2016

My Favorite Reads this Week

If you're like me, by the time Friday afternoon roles around, motivation and energy is a bit low. So, to get you re-energized and excited to read and write, here's a few thing I read this week that I really enjoyed. 

Favorite Blog Posts

National Novel Writing Month  on The Left-Handed Typist 

It is that time of the year, to sharpen your pencils and pens, limber up your fingers, and get ready to write. I've never done NanoWrimo before, but I'm excited for it. Abi does a good job of introducing it here and includes some good tips and goals to help you get ready.

10 Minutes to Midnight on Scattered Scribblings

A spooky short story to get you in the mood for Halloween (Hail the Great Pumpkin!).

So, You Want to Make a Difference on Scattered Journal Pages

A good reminder that it isn't always the big things that allow us to make a difference, it's always good to keep in mind. I think a lot of times, especially younger Christians, we get wrapped up in the big events and gestures and sometimes forget to put in the work for daily, simply, "little" things that add up to a big impact.

Interesting Articles


Light in the Darkness on Memoria Press

An insightful article by one of my favorite writers, Martin Cothran, which argues that literature gives us a way to understand and deal with evil. Cothran argues that ultimately, to those who are experiencing it, evil is not a philosophical or psychological question. It is a metaphysical question; "Why is this happening to me?". Such questions can only be answered by stories.

Life Long Intellectual Partnerships vs. Books You Only Read Once On The Circe Institue

In a world where we can have almost any book written in our hands in less than a week, and download a hundred more in a matter of minutes, it is easy to get lost in the sheer volume of it all. Here Joshua Gibbs describes his process of picking which books he really spends time with.

Hope some of these give you a little pick up and get you excited for a weekend of stories. If you come across some really good ones in your browsing, let me know about them for next weeks list!

1 comment:

  1. Woohoo, I made the cut! ;) Glad that post made sense to you, especially since you're new to NaNo!

    I'm so glad you've discovered Amanda's blog (Scattered Journal Pages)! It's so incredible. All of her posts are phenomenal, so I encourage you to explore that one more :)

    After much deliberation, I have narrowed my recommendations down to one of my favorite posts from four different blogs that I think you might be interested in following.

    1. A Glimpse of Starlight: https://aberdeen92.wordpress.com/2016/09/02/fireside-fridays-the-two-ways-books-are-magical/
    2. Penprints: https://rosalievalentine.wordpress.com/2016/08/15/3816/
    3. This Incandescent Life: http://www.thisincandescentlife.com/2016/10/the-lost-art-of-honor-and-why-we-need-it-back/
    4. You Write Fiction: https://youwritefiction.wordpress.com/2016/08/01/10-annoying-things-fantasy-characters-do/

    Hope you enjoy them and can't wait to read the articles you shared! Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete